My research interests focus on the social psychology of language and communication processes, particularly as they pertain to intercultural relations and communication. One facet of my research program concerns the relation between language behavior and ethnic identity, and how they are connected to acculturation stress. A second aspect is intrinsic and extrinsic motivation to learn languages, and how others (e.g., teachers, family members, and members of the language community) encourage or discourage learners' motivation. A third line of inquiry addresses cross-cultural variations in intergenerational communication, and the implications of different communication styles for psychological well-being across the life span.
- Zhang, R., & Noels, K. A. (in press). When ethnic identities vary: Cross-situation and withinsituation variation, authenticity, and well-being. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology.
- Noels, K.A., Leavitt, P., & Clément, R. (2010). “To see ourselves as others see us”: On the implications of reflected appraisals for ethnic identity and discrimination. Journal of Social Issues, 64, 740-758.
- Comanaru, R., & Noels, K.A. (2009). Self-determination, motivation, and the learning of Chinese as a heritage language. Canadian Modern Language Review, 66, 131-158.
- Yang, R.P.-J., Noels, K.A., & Saumure, K.D. (2006). Multiple routes to cross-cultural adaptation for international students: Mapping the paths between self-construals, English language confidence, and adjustment. International Journal of Intercultural Relations. 30, 487-506.
- Noels, K.A. (2001). Learning Spanish as a second language: Students’ orientations and Perceptions of teachers’ communicative style. Language Learning, 51, 107-144.
- Clément, R., Noels, K.A., & Denault, B. (2001). Inter-ethnic contact, identity, and psychological adjustment: The mediating and moderating roles of communication. Journal of Social Issues, 57, 559-577.
- Noels, K. A., Pelletier, L., Clément, R., & Vallerand, R.J. (2000). Why are you learning a second language? Orientations and Self-Determination Theory. Language Learning, 50, 57-85.
- Noels, K. A., Pelletier, L., & Clément, R. (1999). Perceptions of teacher communicative style and students' intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. Modern Language Journal, 83, 23-34.
- MacIntyre, P.D., Noels, K.A., & Clément, R. (1997). Biases in self-ratings of second language proficiency: the role of anxiety. Language Learning, 47, 265-287.
- Noels, K.A., Pon, G., & Clément, R. (1996). Language, identity and adjustment: The role of linguistic self-confidence in the acculturation process. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 15, 246-264.
- Noels, K.A., & Clément, R. (1996). Communicating across cultures: Social determinants and acculturative consequences. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 28, 214-228.
- Clément, R., Dörnyei, Z., & Noels, K.A. (1994). Motivation, self-confidence, and group cohesion in the foreign language classroom. Language Learning, 44, 417-448.
- Clément, R., Gauthier, R., & Noels, K. A. (1993). Choix langagiers en milieu minoritaire: Attitudes et identité concomitantes. [Language choice in minority groups: Concomitant attitudes and identity]. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 25, 149-164.
- Clément, R., & Noels, K.A. (1992). Towards a situated approach to ethnolinguistic identity: The effects of status on individuals and groups. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 11, 203-232.
- Noels, K.A. (in press). Culture and intergroup communication. To appear in M.B. Brewer and M. Yuki (Eds.) Culture and Group Processes (Series: Frontiers of Culture and Psychology, series editors M. Gelfand, Y.Y, Hong, & C.Y. Chiu). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Noels, K.A. (2009). Identity and the internalization of language learning into the self-concept. In Z. Dörnyei & E. Ushioda (Eds.) Motivation, Language Identity and the L2 Self. (pp.295-313). Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Noels, K.A., Clément, R., & Gaudet, S. (2004). Language and the situated nature of ethnic identity. In Ng, S.H., Candlin, C.N., & Chiu C.Y. (Eds.). Language Matters: Culture, Identity and Communication. (pp.245-266) Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press.
- Noels, K.A., & Giles, H. (2009). Social identity and language learning. In W. Ritchie & T. Bhatia (Eds.) The New Handbook of Second Language Acquisition. (pp. 647-670). Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Noels, K.A. (2001). New orientations in language learning motivation: Towards a model of intrinsic, extrinsic and integrative orientations. In Z. Dörnyei & R. Schmidt (Eds.) Motivation and second language acquisition (pp. 43-68). Honolulu, HI: University of Hawai’i Second Language Teaching and Curriculum Centre.
- McEown Sugita, M., Noels, K.A., & Chaffee, K.E. (in press). The Interface between the Socio- Educational Model, Self-Determination Theory, and the L2 Motivational System Model To appear in K. Wein and M. Magid (Eds.) The Impact of Self Concept on Second Language Acquisition. Bristol, UK. Multilingual Matters
- Advanced Social Psychology
- Culture and Psychology
- Culture and Social Behaviour
- Experimental Social Psychology
- Individual and Social Behaviour
- Intercultural Communication
- Intergroup Communication
- Language and Communication Processes
- Social Foundations of Behaviour
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E9
- Phone: (780) 492-4717
- Fax: (780) 492-1768